Student teaching has been in full swing for about a month now and boy have I been BUSY! In this past month, I have already learned so much and I adore these kids! I have taken over math these past 3 weeks, so I have been teaching math every day. This coming week I will start taking over another subject as well to gradually work my way up to when I take over full time. I wanted to share with you guys how I lesson plan and walk you through it!
This is the lesson plan template that Clemson requires us to use for all of our observed lessons. I just had a lesson observed by my Supervisor this past week and it went really well! I taught a math lesson on attributes of shapes!
These are the steps I take when lesson planning:
1.I always start off by finding the standards I am working towards accomplishing.
2. Then I think about the different types of activities I want to include in my lesson and brainstorm all the different ideas.
3. Then I write my objectives and rationale for the lesson on why it is important for my students to learn this!
4. Then I jump into the prerequisites and materials (my favorite part of lesson planning) haha.
5. The procedures are definitely the most time consuming because I want everything to flow and be perfectly aligned to what they need to learn.
6. I always get my assessments from my procedures and what I am using to “grade” them that day. This could be a worksheet they complete or just observations I make throughout the lesson.
7. My adaptations will vary according to what I have the students working on during that lesson!
8. Lastly, the follow-up lessons are further activities I could have the students do to expand their understanding of the content we were working on.
My reflections are always completed after my lessons on what I thought went well and what I could improve on! This is also when I will receive feedback from my Cooperating Teacher or Supervisor.
So that is just a little walk through of how I lesson plan for all of my lessons! There is definitely a lot of time and work put into each and every lesson because I want the students to be receiving the best education and for each student to be successful! Feel free to give me any tips or advice on how you lesson plan, because trust me I can always use some help 😉